Fwd: RE: [3dem] Contamination problem on cryo grids

Norm Olson nholson at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 29 10:22:05 PDT 2008

--
I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest.  It
seems like everyone has their own way things should be done but I
have not seen any studies, I could have missed them, where controlled
tests were performed.  Carbon films have always had somewhat of a
"religion" around them but with the manufactured holey carbons it
seems like it has gotten worse.  As an example, Quantifoils need to
be treated to remove the manufacturing plastic, to reduce
beam-induced charging, to reduce contamination, or to make the films
more hydrophilic.  Is any of that correct? Maybe all of it is
correct, who knows.  On the other hand, how many people are there out
there who don't treat them in solvents at all?  Others I have talked
with say that the C-flats give more of an even ice thickness because
they don't have plastic but they still do charge which seems to
contradict others who say that the plastic causes beam-induced
charging.  Some people have told me that it is necessary to go
through several different solvents, others have their one favorite
solvent.

Just my observations from the bleacher seats....

Norm

Norm Olson
Cryoelectron Microscopy Facilities Manager
1510 Bonner Hall
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, MC-0378
University of California San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0378
nholson at ucsd.edu
http://cryoem.ucsd.edu
Cell:  (858)220-2183
(858)822-6718 - Office; (858)534-5846 - Fax