[3dem] Contamination rates

Mike Strauss mike.strauss at mpibp-frankfurt.mpg.de
Thu Nov 13 14:02:14 PST 2008

Hi Ruben,

I have checked with our engineer and these are the house measurements
for our contamination rates:

Jeol 3000 SFF:  at 4K (Helium cooled) we have a contamination rate of
0.4-0.6 nm/hour for the 1st hour, and about 1.5 nm / hour after 4
hours.  But the predominant contaminant here (as previously mentioned)
is nitrogen.

Polara G2:  < 0.3 nm/hour at liquid nitrogen temperatures.  We haven't
used the Polara's helium temperature capabilities for data collection
since our Jeol is more efficient in helium usage.

Tecnai 12 equipped with an anti-contaminator box:  0.7nm/hour

CM120 equipped with blade anti-contaminators: ~1nm/hour in the 1st
hour, and increases after this.

I'm afraid I can't offer any information concerning Jeol microscopes
operated at nitrogen temperatures.

Best Regards,
mike