[3dem] Re: Freezing hydrophobic grid (Chuck Sindelar)

Chuck Sindelar CVSindelar at lbl.gov
Thu May 1 12:52:55 PDT 2008

[Note to the administrator: though the name of my 3dem account is
"sindelar at alum.mit.edu", I am actually sending/receiving 3dem
messages from my work account here at lbnl-- hope this works]

On Apr 7, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Puey Ounjai wrote:

> I am trying to make thin ice on hydrophobic carbon surface
> (continuous). I am trying to make ice equally spreaded on the surface.
> Usually, it breaks and form droplet on the carbon?
> Any  suggestion would be highly appreciated!

Hi Puey,
I have come up with a relatively simple solution to your problem,
which I faced because my protein complexes dissociated when place on
glow-discharged holey carbon grids.

The solution:

(1) add ~2.5-3 µL of sample to an ordinary, NON-glow-discharged holey
carbon grid.  NB: This required some care to ensure that the entire
carbon surface was fully covered by sample.

(2) use the edge of a piece of filter paper to gently "wick" away
most of the sample from the surface of the grid.  This will leave a
very thin meniscus on the carbon surface which should just barely be
visible by eye, but will still cover the entire area of carbon.

(3) mount the grid in a plunge freezing apparatus (we use a homemade
device).  Now, carefully approach the grid with a piece of filter
paper (held by both hands and flexed slightly convex towards the grid
works best).  When contact is made to the grid, indicated by a wet
spot on the filter paper, IMMEDIATELY (within 1/2 second) plunge the
grid into liquid ethanol.

The results I get from this procedure are generally not as uniform as
with glow-discharged grids, but with a little practice I found that I
can reproducibly get large areas of ice of the proper thickness.
Unlike the glow-discharged method, however, ice in my method tends to
not to have the pretty symmetry of being thinnest in the middle of
grid squares and gradually getting thicker towards the edge of the
squares.  Instead, you tend to get irregular, patchy areas of good
ice often separated by "veins" of thicker ice.  Also, many squares
tend to have ice that is practically opaque, it is so thick (i.e.
useless).

With these caveats, however, I can definitely say that I have had
great success once I mastered the method-- on a good grid on a good
day, working with microtubule filaments, I can collect enough data
for an 8Å structure!

good luck

Chuck