[3dem] from Dr. Christopher Akey, re: postdoctoral position at BUSM

Christopher Akey cakey at bu.edu
Tue Mar 18 12:33:28 PDT 2008

Members of the 3DEM mailing list-

We are seeking a postdoc to work on the structure and function of
bacterial and mammalian ribosome-channel complexes. Ideally, this
appointee will have some experience with cryo-EM work and computing with
  unix or linux operating systems. The starting date is flexible, but
could be as early as August 1, 2008 and the initial position would be
for 3 years.

The structural EM facilities at Boston University School of Medicine are
excellent and include a TF20 and all ancillary equiptment for cryoEM
work and image processing. In addition, we have recently added an Oxford
style holder to compliment our Gatan cryo-holders and a Vitrobot. We
currently use a 28 processor linux cluster for image processing with
EMAN and will be upgrading the Beowulf cluster in the coming year.

General details of the lab and our research projects are provided on our
web pages (http://biophysics.bumc.bu.edu/faculty/akey/index.html).

For additional details please contact Dr. Christopher Akey (cakey at bu.edu).
			The RCC project-

In humans, the ER translocon assists in the biogenesis of roughly 1/5th
of the unique proteins encoded in the genome. The ribosome-channel
complex plays a particularly important role in the targeting of nascent
membrane proteins.

In a non-translating ribosome-SecY complex, we have shown that a single
copy of SecY (the Sec61 homolog) binds to the lsu at a primary site that
encompasses the exit tunnel. Importantly, we were able to dock the loops
of an atomic model of SecY within the connections between the channel
and the ribosome (Menetret et al., 2007). The ribosome and the SecY
loops in this analysis were at ~9.6A resolution.We suggest that this
copy of SecY is perfectly positioned to capture and translocate the
nascent chain in an active complex.

In the mammalian system, we obtained a map of the canine 80S ribosome at
8.7A resolution (within the RCC) and then built an homology model of
this large protein translation machine, in a collaboration with Dr. A.
Sali (Chandramouli et al., in press). We then went on to evaluate the
remarkable, disk-like channel region in this specimen, which contains
well resolved single copies of both Sec61 and TRAP. This work shows that
the bacterial and mammalian RCCs have a generally similar architecture
and this paper is now under review (Ménétret et al. submitted).

To understand this critical system, we are studying RCCs with a defined
nascent chain from bacteria and from mammalian ER using cryoEM and
single particle methods to visualize conformational changes associated
with the presence of the nascent chain in a looped configuration in the
SecY or Sec61 channel.

This work is a joint collaboration with Drs.Tom Rapoport (HMS) and
Ramanujan Hegde (NIH), whose groups provide exceptional expertise in the
biochemical preparation of RCCs and ER translocons.

refs-

Chandramouli, P., Topf, M., Ménétret, J.F., Eswar, N., Cannone, J.J.,
Gutell, R.R., Sali, A., Rapoport, T.A., and Akey, C.W. (in press).
Structure of the mammalian 80S ribosome at 8.7Å resolution.  Structure

Ménétret, J. F., Schaletzky, Clemons Jr., W.M., Osborne, A.R., Skånland,
S.S., Denison, C., Gygi, S.J., Kirkpatrick, D.S., Park, E., Ludtke,
S.J., Rapoport, T.A., & Akey, C.W. (2007). Ribosome binding of a single
copy of the SecY complex: implications for protein translocation.
Molecular Cell 28, 1083-1092.

Ménétret, J. F., Hegde, R.S., Aguiar, M., Gygi, S.P.,Park, E., Rapoport,
T. A., & Akey, C. W. (submitted). Single copies of Sec61 and TRAP
associate with the non-translating mammalian ribosome.

cheers  C Akey

        STRUCTURAL ELECTRON MICROSCOPY & CRYSTALLOGRAPHY GROUP
   Christopher W. Akey, Professor
   Physiology & Biophysics
   Boston Univ. School of Medicine
   700 Albany St.