[3dem] streaks in FFTs

Norm Olson nholson at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 9 12:32:01 PDT 2008

--
3DEM:  We are seeing vertical streaks in FFTs from images recorded
with our Gatan 4K CCD camera.  We were wondering if any of you have
seen this and how we can solve the problem.

Take a look at this image here for an example:
http://cryoem.ucsd.edu/streak.jpg

We are using our program, ROBEM, to box virus particles from our
recorded images.  From there we calculate an averaged FFT from the
individual image FFTs to determine the defocus of our image.  This is
just standard stuff...

The streaks are very apparent in the averaged FFTs but we also see
them in FFTs calculated in ImageJ from our entire 4K X 4K images.
The intensity of the streaks is greater in extremely low dose images
but they are also visible in normal, and high dose images.  The FFT
included here is from an image taken at 300KV (problem appears to be
KV independent), ~59,000X, and with a dose of ~27 electrons/A
squared.  The sample was a carbon film.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Norm Olson

Norm Olson
Cryoelectron Microscopy Facilities Manager
1510 Bonner Hall
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, MC-0378
University of California San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0378
nholson at ucsd.edu
http://cryoem.ucsd.edu
Cell:  (858)220-2183
(858)822-6718 - Office; (858)534-5846 - Fax