[3dem] RE: EM sample in high salt

Henning Stahlberg HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:18:59 PDT 2008

Hi,

That cryo-neg. staining method was developed by Marc Adrian et al., in
the Dubochet lab at Lausanne.
The first publication was
Adrian, M., Dubochet, J., Fuller, S.D. and Harris, J.R. (1998) Cryo-
negative staining. Micron, 29, 145-160.
As far as I know, the earliest application of that method to study a
new protein appeared in PNAS 96, 6787-6790 (1999),
and Sacha de Carlo nicely analyzed the possible resolution when
applied to GroEL, here:
De Carlo, S., El-Bez, C., Alvarez-Rua, C., Borge, J. and Dubochet, J.
(2002) Cryo-negative staining reduces electron-beam sensitivity of
vitrified biological particles. J. Struct. Biol., 138, 216.

Henning.