[3dem] MSA-2008 in Albuquerque: Abstract Deadline February 15th 2008

Gina Sosinsky gina at ncmir.ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 25 12:55:08 PST 2008

The following is from Teresa Ruiz who is one of the session chairs
for the molecular microscopy session at the Microscopy Society of
America (MSA). Please reply to her (truiz at physiology.med.uvm.edu) or
Esther Bullitt (bullitt at medusa.bu.edu) with questions.

We would like to make you aware of our symposium at the MSA 2008
meeting that will be held in Albuquerque on August 3-7 2008 and
encourage you to send and abstract and join us..

A19 - Advances in structure/function determination by cryo-electron
microscopy
Teresa Ruiz and Esther Bullitt

The invited speakers: S. Birmanns, Q. Hao, M. Kikkawa, H. Stahlberg,
J. Valentijn, H. Winkler, will cover a large range of topics from
tomography, helical and 2D crystal image processing, methods for X-
ray model fitting into EM structures, using molecular envelope
information for crystallographic phasing, and novel correlative
methods for cryo-fluorescence and cryo-electron microscopies. See
below for the session abstract.

We have designed the day long symposium to have 6 long talks
(invited) and 8 short talks (selected from abstracts). We encourage
you to send an abstract to join us and participate in this
interesting symposium. The deadline for abstract submission is coming
soon: February 15th. Please make sure to tell us if you would prefer
a poster or if you would also be willing to give a presentation if
your abstract is selected.

Get those abstracts ready before is too late!
See you in Albuquerque this summer

Teresa and Esther

A19 - Advances in structure/function determination by cryo-electron
microscopy

Continuing advances in software and hardware are shaping cryoEM as a
tool for revealing structural and functional information of
biological systems. New insights have been obtained from EM data
alone, or in interdisciplinary approaches in combination with other
imaging techniques and x-ray studies. This symposium will present
advances of technical or biological nature that evidence the role of
cryoEM in identifying correlations between macromolecular structure
and function. Topics covered are: improvements in preparative
techniques, computational approaches and instrumentation for
achieving higher resolution; 3D correlation averaging of tomographic
data; multi-resolution studies; optimized docking of crystal
structures; and new biological structure/function relationships.