[3dem] cryo-negative staining

Anindito Sen emailanindito at yahoo.co.in
Wed Feb 27 10:04:03 PST 2008

Dear all

 I was wandering if some of us do cryo-negative stain EM. I am planning carry out this method for my samples (filaments) which, are very thin, diameter of < 6 nm. In the prep there are several other extra cellular fibres of different diameter along with the desired filaments. Seperation of the filaments of interest seems rather difficult. However in negative staining one can clearly distinguish the candicate from the other unwanted fibres.

Any suggession in this context will be helpful (literature siting description of the process, type of stain and it concentration, typical resolution of the density maps achieved by this method etc).

 Thanks
 Andy

Dr. Anindito Sen (Ph.D) Research Associate , Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics University of Virginia Box 800733 Charlottesville, VA 22908