Fwd: Re: [3dem] A better way for storing freezed sample grids

Bruno Klaholz klaholz at titus.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Feb 27 08:43:09 PST 2008

Dear Paul,

we also use such workshop-made boxes, just with a round cut of the
transparent cover rather than a rectangular cut. By the way, the hex
bolt you mention has also the advantage of finding the center easily
with an alan key when working under liquid nitrogen.

Cheers,

Bruno

>>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:12:35 -0500
>>To: Eduardo Sanz-Garcia <esanzgar at chem.byu.edu>
>>From: Paul Chipman <paulrc at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu>
>>Subject: Re: [3dem] A better way for storing freezed sample grids
>>Bcc:
>>
>>We take the larger blue grid storage boxes and drill out circular
>>"boxes" that fit into the same recessed areas that the Gatan
>>Transfer Station uses.  The grids are held in place by a thin piece
>>of plastic held in place by a hex bolt.  The bolt is stainless
>>steel.  We've tried nylon screws but they often sheer off after
>>repeated use of improper drying between uses.  One can store 30-40
>>of these in a Falcon tube immersed in LN2.  We have hundreds in
>>storage.  Other than the occasional fracturing from over
>>tightening, they last for years.  A machine shop can produce these
>>for a fraction of the cost of purchasing new.  The web page Norm
>>provided looks to have similar products.  I've attached a photo but
>>am not sure if this site permits images.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Paul
>>

>>>Currently, I am using the circular boxes that contain 4 holes to
>>>store the already vitrified grids. I number the boxes and keep
>>>them in a tube inside the nitrogen container.
>>>I was wondering if there is a better way for storing those vitrified grids.
>>>Thanks.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Paul Chipman
>>Director, Electron Microscopy Facility
>>Project Leader, Structural Virology EM Studies
>>Dept. of Biology, Purdue University
>>Lilly Hall, Rm. B216
>>Phone: 765-494-1487
>>Fax:765-496-1189
>

>--
>Paul Chipman
>Director, Electron Microscopy Facility
>Project Leader, Structural Virology EM Studies
>Dept. of Biology, Purdue University
>Lilly Hall, Rm. B216
>Phone: 765-494-1487
>Fax:765-496-1189

Dr. Bruno P. Klaholz
Department of Structural Biology and Genomics
Institute of Genetics and of Molecular and Cellular Biology
IGBMC - UMR 7104
1, rue Laurent Fries
BP 10142
67404 ILLKIRCH CEDEX