[3dem] Problems blotting the liquid ethane

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Fri Feb 22 11:03:34 PST 2008

Hi James,
What's the appearance of the contamination that you mention? I
sometimes see  a kind of quasi-crystalline layer or sheet with a
characteristic striated pattern that appears to lie on top of the
ice. I always assumed it was dirt from the film and it always seemed
to disappear when I washed the grids throroughly in chloroform prior
to use. Could it be ethane, I wonder?
Terje