[3dem] Tech position in membrane protein crystallization

David Stokes stokes at saturn.med.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 2 08:54:26 PDT 2007

RESEARCH TECHNICIAN POSITION IN MEMBRANE PROTEIN CRYSTALLIZATION.

A research technician position is available immediately at the New York
Structural Biology Center in New York City
(http://www.nysbc.org/facilities/CEM). The candidate will focus on
implementing a high-throughput screen to identify conditions for
crystallizing membrane proteins for analysis by cryo-electron
microscopy. This work will involve setting up parallel crystallization
trials using a liquid-handling robot and a microdialysis block designed
in our laboratory.  The plan is to image these samples using automated
software and a 100-sample multi-specimen holder to be purchased from a
commercial source and implemented at NYSBC. The candidates will be part
of an energetic NIH-funded research center focused on membrane protein
structure determination by X-ray crystallography and cryo-electron
crystallography.

Our laboratory is fully equipped for all aspects of protein expression,
crystallization and electron microscopy.  We have a strong collaboration
with a group involved in protein target selection, cloning and
expression screening as part of the NIH Protein Structure Initiative.
The current position requires skills in electron microscopy. Although
specific experience is preferred, general experience in imaging and/or
biophysics may suffice.

The initial appointment is for one year and renewable for up to three
years. Interested candidates should e-mail cover letter, full CV and
contact information for three professional referees to:

David Stokes
stokes at nysbc.org
New York Structural Biology Center
tel: 212-939-0660 x9116