[3dem] Zeiss SCAI/ ZI Photoscan discontinued

Steve Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:52:57 PST 2007

We turned our Zeiss off about 3 years ago and haven't used it since. We now use
a set (they only cost ~$1k each) of Nikon 9000's. With a properly machined
holder (the ones they ship require some minor modifications), we found that they
outperformed our Zeiss in most respects. There is also a publication by Typke
describing some technical evaluations of these scanners.  Whenever a new
consumer grade scanner with apparent technical specifications that would make it
useful to cryoEM comes out we evaluate it, and so far none of the other
available 'consumer' grade scanners has performed as well as the Nikon (even
though on paper some look better).

Steven Ludtke, PhD              |        Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.tmc.edu             |     Associate Professor & Co-Director
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu       | National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
V: (713)798-9020                |    Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
F: (713)798-1625                |
http://ncmi.bcm.edu/~stevel     |         The converse also applies