[3dem] Ice contamination

P Wang P.Wang at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 04:23:51 PST 2007

Dear all,

May I have your guys options about the test method of ice contamination. I have
been suggested to use following way to test whether there is an ice
contamination or not during the cryoTEM session:

Cooling down a plain carbon film grid in LN2. Cold transfer it into microscope
and focus the beam at lower magnification (5000X). It shall be able to see a
burning area on the carbon film and then brings the temperature up. This area
would disappear during the temperature up so this is suggestion that there is
an ice contamination.

Your options are highly appreciated.

Peiyi