[3dem] cryoEM and humidity control

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:29:10 PST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Lisa Craig wrote:

> We have recently started doing cryoEM on a Tecnai F20 that has
> until now been used mostly for material sciences. Our first few
> sessions went well but lately we find that the vacuum crashes
> almost every time we insert the Gatan 626 cold stage. We also
> noticed that the tip of the stage, where the grid is held, gets
> frosted up immediately after pulling it out of the workstation
> prior to insertion into the scope. Inserting the cold stage at room
> temp doesn't cause the crash. Its been suggested to us that this
> happens because the humidity in the room is too high and this is
> what's been causing the crash. Our humidity fluctuates a lot and is
> lately hovering at 35%. This does make sense to me that putting a
> wet tip into the column would affect the vacuum, but (i) there are
> times when we see the frosting at the tip but don't get a crash;
> (ii) others have told us they do cryo successfully in even higher
> humidity; and (iii) preliminary tests suggest that if we turn the
> stage counterclockwise very slowly into position for final
> insertion into the column after the initial evacuation of the
> airlock, we seem to avoid a crash.
>
> Regarding (iii), normally we rotate the goniometer to -55 degrees,
> insert the stage with the LN2 opening on the dewar pointing at 3:00
> for pumping of the airlock, then bring the goniometer back to 0
> degrees and simultaneously rotate the stage in the opposite
> direction, counterclockwise into position and guide it in. This is
> the way I've always inserted the cryoholder and never had problems.
> But on this microscope, during this simultaneous counter-rotation
> of the goniometer and coldstage we usually see a big jump in column
> pressure and often a crash. However, if instead we allow the stage
> to rotate clockwise with the goniometer back to 0 degrees, then
> very slowly rotate the stage counterclockwise into its final
> position this jump and vacuum crash don't occur, although we've
> only tried this a few times.
>
> So I was hoping to get some input from the community into how
> critical the humidity is, whether others have observed the frosting
> of the stage tip, and whether this sounds like a humidity problem
> or something deeper, like the cold stage not cooling properly or
> the seal between the coldstage rod and the goniometer failing. I
> actually think the cold stage is working fine because the temp
> stays at ~-175 degrees C and we don't have a problem with
> contamination as long as the vacuum doesn't crash. We've also
> cleaned the o-ring on the goniometer and checked it for flaws.

Dear Lisa,
	We have success on our T12 pumping for 50 sec, but YMMV, so Bob's
suggestion is a good one.  I'd remove the o-ring and check the groove
for small score marks or fibers, replace the o-ring, and try again.
It seems like the crash occurs when the o-ring is traveling along the
tube in the stage, and moving slowly prevents a crash, so if the o-
ring is not the problem, I'd look into the surface in the stage that
it moves on.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist