[3DEM] Jamming of FEI low-noise film holders

John Rubinstein, U of T john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 10 08:53:19 PDT 2007

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Dear 3DEM list users,

With our new FEI F20 microscope we selected low-noise film holders for
our plate camera system.  These holders do not have a metal back and
consequently do not produce backscattered electrons that can fog the
film (this topic has been discussed previously on the 3DEM mailing
list).  The advantage of these holders seems well established at 300 keV
but I have not seen measurements of film fogging by backscattered
electrons at 200 keV.  Thinking there was no disadvantage in using these
film holders, I selected them for our 200 keV instrument.  There was
some delay in getting the low-noise film holders and in the meantime we
borrowed conventional holders and cassettes without incident.

When we started using the low-noise film holders, we ran into some problems:

1) The low-noise film holders require different camera cassettes (with
springs set for the weight of the film holders).  While the old FEI
camera cassettes dropped right into position to engage film inserting
rod, the new cassettes are a much more snug fit and needed to be pushed
down into the microscope to engage the connection.  This difference led
to a couple of plate jams before we learned that the cassettes need to
be pushed firmly into the microscope.

2) Film holders occasionally jam in the top half of the cassette (in our
local terminology, the 'donator' part of the cassette).  As the stack of
plates is lowered (by gravity) during a session on the microscope, one
plate will occasionally jam in the donator and all subsequent
'exposures' are taken without film.  Our engineer has looked at the
cassette and can not see why these jams occur.

Has anybody else experienced this second problem?  Has anybody
determined the reason why these jams occur or found a solution for it?

Best regards,
John

--
John Rubinstein
Molecular Structure and Function Program