[3DEM] 626 cryoholder pin

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Mon May 1 18:12:10 PDT 2006

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Dear List,
	We have just had a second occurrence of breaking of the pin on our 626
cryoholder that opens and closes the airlock on the T12.  After hearing
of the disaster such an occurrence can cause if the holder is in the
scope when the pin breaks, I have had all our users check the pin each
time before using the holder, but in neither case did that inspection
uncover the likelihood that the pin would break--the pin always looked
normal.  Fortunately, on neither occasion was our scope damaged.  From
now on I am planning to inspect the pin with a dissecting scope monthly
in addition to having the users continue to inspect it at each use.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager
Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility