[3DEM] number of required images

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 13:22:57 PST 2006

Dear Leandro,

For the derivation of the formula you may want to have a look at:

Marin van Heel and George Harauz, *Resolution criteria for three
dimensional reconstructions*, /Optik/ *73* (1986) 119-122.

In that paper we also derived a formula for truly random orientations of
projections which is more favourable than the Crowther's formula.

d  >= 2 * D / N due to the more favourable distribution of projection
directions.

Hope this helps,

Marin van Heel

======================================

Leandro ESTROZI wrote:

> **** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
> **** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****
>
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know from where the formula below is derived?
>
> N = pi * D / d
>
> where N is the number of required images in order to make a
> reconstruction with diameter D at resolution d.
>
> Many people cite Crowther's Nature paper (1970) but that formula does
> not appear therein.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leandro.

       Marin van Heel