URGENT:Job search closing soon, 3 yr postdoc in Oxford, UK

Ariel Blocker ariel.blocker at path.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 07:08:50 PDT 2005

University of Oxford
Division of Medical Sciences
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology

Post-doctoral research scientist in structural
biology/ biochemistry/ microbial pathogenesis
Salary £19,460 - £29,128 p.a.

Applications are invited for the above post,
funded for 3 years (to start October/ November
2005) by a grant from the UK Medical Research
Council, and based at Sir William Dunn School of
Pathology, Oxford.

Gram-negative bacteria commonly use type III
secretion systems (TTSSs or secretons) to inject
proteins directly into the host cell during
infection. How secretons are activated only upon
physical contact with host cells is not
understood. The following papers (Blocker et al,
2001, JCB; Blocker et al., 2001, Mol Micro;
Cordes et al., 2003, JBC; Blocker et al., 2003,
PNAS) describe the path to our present scientific
questions. We have recently identified needle
mutants, which alter the activity of the
secreton. Yet, we find no evidence that the
helical structure of these mutant needles is
altered (Kenjale et al. and Cordes et al.,
submitted). Therefore, to understand how the
needle communicates with the basal body we will
apply biochemical, genetic and EM techniques to
study how the other components of the needle
interact with the basal body of the apparatus.
Our work is aided by access to microscope
facilities internally and at the CBEM at Imperial
College, London and efforts from Dr. Susan Lea's
laboratory to solve atomic structures of needle
components and access to their computer
facilities and expertise to analyse our EM data.

Candidates must have a PhD dealing with
high-resolution electron microscopy of
macromolecular complexes (image acquisition and
analysis). They should also have the desire to
learn about or increase their knowledge of
microbial pathogenesis. Past experience of
purification of large protein complexes and
molecular biology would be an advantage.

Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Ariel
Blocker email: ariel.blocker at path.ox.ac.uk,
Webpage: http://users.path.ox.ac.uk/~ablocker/.

Applications, together with a C.V. detailing
previous employment, and the names and addresses
of three referees, should be send to the
Administrator, Sir William Dunn School of
Pathology, South Parks Rd, Oxford OX1 3RE, UK
(FAX: +44-1865-275-515, email:
administration at path.ox.ac.uk, by 9 September
2005. Please quote reference AB/05/027.

--