Postdoc position available

Jenny Hinshaw jennyh at helix.nih.gov
Tue Oct 4 15:18:45 PDT 2005

Postdoctoral Position Available
Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
National Institute of Health, USA

The focus of the laboratory is to examine the structure/function
relationship of large macromolecular complexes within the cell.  One
major focus of the laboratory is to determine if a common mechanism
of action exists for the diverse dynamin family of proteins. Dynamin
is crucial for endocytosis, synaptic membrane recycling, membrane
trafficking within the cell and more recently has been associated
with filamentous actin.  Other dynamin family members are involved in
mitochondria division and morphology (Drp1, Mgm1), anti-viral
activity (Mx, hGBP1), and plant cell wall  formation and thylakoid
membrane organization (Phragmoplastin, ADLs). To determine if a
common mechanism exists among this unique set of proteins, we plan to
calculate and compare the 3D structure of dynamin family members
using cryo-electron microscopy, helical reconstruction  and single
particle methods. Another interest of the laboratory is to determine
the 3-dimensional structure of the nuclear pore complex (NPC) in C.
Elegans.  This project will entail developing a method of isolating
NPCs from C. Elegans and comparing various NPC mutants using the C.
Elegans well-developed genetic system.  The 3D structure of Xenopus
NPC was previously solved by Drs. Hinshaw, Carragher and Milligan and
will be used as a model system for developing the C. Elegans system.

With its diverse laboratories and expertise available on campus, and
excellent seminars, NIH provides a superb and stimulating scientific
environment that greatly enhances the postdoctoral training
experience.  Within our laboratory we have a Philips CM120 electron
microscope, as well as all the necessary biochemical and molecular
biology equipment. We also share a state-of-the art FEI/Philips CM30
Helium-cooled electron microscope.

Contact:  Jenny E. Hinshaw

Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
NIDDK, NIH
Building 8, Room 419
8 Center Dr MSC 0851
Bethesda, MD 20892, USA