[3DEM] carbon coating on EMS 100 glow discharge unit

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Wed Feb 23 11:15:37 PST 2005

Dear Lisa,
I know  that Emitech sells a glow discharge attachment (K350) for their
carbon coaters (K450X and K950X) but I didn't realize they also sell a
carbon coating attachment for the K100X glow discharger? We have the
glow discharge unit so I'd be interested in such an attachment.

However, I wouldn't expect the quality of the films to be that good, as
the glow discharge unit only runs on relatively poor vacuum, unlike the
turbo pumped K950. If you are concerned about the quality of the film,
you would probably want to get the K950 with the glow attachment, if
you can afford it...

Terje

On Feb 23, 2005, at 12:43 PM, Lisa Craig wrote:
> I'm looking into buying an EMS 100 glow discharge apparatus and also a
> carbon coater for TEM. I noticed that EMS sells a carbon coating
> attachment. Has anyone out there had experience with this attachment.
> Is the carbon coating of comparable quality to that of the Edwards
> E306 carbon evaporator?  I welcome any experience, opinions and
> advice.

---
Terje Dokland, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Microbiology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
845 19th St South, BBRB 311
Birmingham, AL 35294
Tel : 205-996 4502
Fax: 205-996 2667

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson