[3DEM] A question about ice thickness of cryo-EM

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Thu Feb 17 11:00:42 PST 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Hu, Guobin wrote:

> Thanks for your information! You might have given me a basic idea what
> the maximum of ice thickness could be.  Actually as indicated in my
> earliest message, I’m not trying to figure out how thick the ice could
> be in any specific case. What I’m trying to find out is an estimate of
> the maximum of ice thickness of cryo-EM grids which is good enough for
> imaging. I wonder if anybody has ever collected data with ice thicker
> than 800 nm.
>
>  Thanks for any further help!

Dear Guobin,
	The maximum ice thickness for imaging depends on the HT of your scope.
  We have been imaging small whole cells at 300 kV, and we can do
tomography on cells that are a little smaller than 1 um.  Of course,
the ice may not be that thick except in the immediate neighborhood of
the cell, and the resolution should improve for thinner ice, so the
answer to "Is the ice too thick for imaging?" is "It depends on what
you're trying to do and what equipment you have to do it."
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager
Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility