[3DEM] A question about ice thickness of cryo-EM

Paul Chipman paulrc at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Thu Feb 17 08:50:27 PST 2005

Hi Guobin,

The ice thickness is a product of the environmental  conditions
(humidity, temperature), the composition of the sample, the blotting
duration, pressure and paper and also the characteristics of the
grid.  I don't think the grid hole size or periodicity alone dictates
your ice thickness.  With the Quantifoil 7/2 we can get vitreous ice
that ranges from ~25-800nm.  And, as Yifan mentioned, we can also get
ice too thick to image through.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Chipman