Postdoctoral Position Available

Gina Sosinsky gina at ncmir.ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 16 16:44:44 PST 2005

Postdoctoral position at the National Center for Microscopy and
Imaging Research
at the University of California, San Diego, CA

A postdoctoral position in cryo-EM and 3D reconstruction to study
connexin26 wild type and mutant structures is available immediately.
Our laboratory has isolated connexin26 gap junctions as in situ
ordered two-dimensional crystals for analysis by electron microscopic
structure determination, atomic force microscope imaging and
biochemical studies.  We are investigating the structure of wild type
connexin26 connexons, functional mutants and treatments that result
in changes in the pore size or shape to study structural mechanisms
of connexon gating.

The successful candidate will have been awarded a Ph.D. or submitted
(with oral examination pending), have experience in electron
cryo-microscopy and image processing.  Experience in
three-dimensional reconstruction and membrane purification techniques
is preferred, but not essential. Excellent written and verbal skills
are expected. The candidate will be working in a large
interdisciplinary research center located in the University of
California San Diego main campus and will have access to state of the
art electron microscopes. For more information on our laboratory,
please visit http://www.ncmir.ucsd.edu.

Please forward this message to all appropriate personnel. Applicants
should send curriculum vitae, bibliography, a brief description of
present research activities and plans and the names and contact
information of three references to:

Dr. Gina Sosinsky

University of California at San Diego
1070 Basic Science Building MC 0608
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0608
858-534-0128       (office phone & voice mail)
858-534-4583       (lab phone)
858-534-7497       (fax)
gsosinsky at ucsd.edu (email)