[3DEM] Gatan cryopluge

Ulrich Gohlke u.gohlke at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Feb 9 02:43:30 PST 2005

Dear Takashi,

Although I haven't used the Vitrobot myself, I understand that the
gradient of ice thickness is actually an advantage. It means that even
if if the blotting time is not the same in each case (if done manually),
there is always an area on the grid which has just the right tickness.
Exactly as you described it, too thick or too thin at either end but
optimal somewhere in between. The disadvantage is that you might need
several grids in order to be able to collect enough data, but if the
grid preparation is automated, what's the problem? Several grids also
means that each of them spends less time in the microscope, so (perhaps)
there is less  contamination.
The slope of the ice gradient is also determined by the time between
blotting and freezing, i.e. the longer you wait the thicker the ice at
the bottom of the grid. If this time can be adjusted for the Vitrobot,
you might get a wider usable area for your grids.

Regards,

 Uli

Dr. Ulrich Gohlke
Birkbeck College