[3DEM] Gatan cryopluge

Ishikawa, Takashi ishikawa at mol.biol.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 9 01:24:16 PST 2005

Dear Oscar, Bill, Norm, members,

We are also happy with the FEI Vitrobot, basically. Students without any

experience of cryo can make a good freezing on the first day. However, we

realized one problem: Frozen grids have gradient of thickness quite often. In

other words, ice is too thick at one end and the grid is totally dried at the

other end, while the area (a few to 10 meshes) in between has optimum

thickness. I guess this is because the grid is blotted by tilted filter paper

attached on pads. Undoubtedly, It would be nicer if we have even thickness

of ice.

Did anybody have the same problem as we have and solve this issue ? Or

anybody has the idea how this problem happened ?

Regards,

Takashi

Takashi Ishikawa
Research Scientist / Group Leader
Department of Biology
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zürich)
ETH Hönggerberg, HPK F7
CH-8093 Zürich, Switzerland
phone: +41 1-633-2462
Fax:  : +41 1-633-1073