[3DEM] Quantifoil hole sizes off?

Bob Grassucci bobg at wadsworth.org
Tue Feb 24 05:54:50 PST 2004

Hi Prabha,
         We have also run into this situation.  The hole sizes are usually
consistent within a batch and the distance between holes is generally
consistent.  I suspect that the problem comes from the amount of time the
grids are treated to form the holes.  When we make holey grids this
treatment is with acetone and if necessary heat to pop pseudo holes before
floating off the holey plastic and then carbon coating the grids.  I am not
certain, but I suspect there is probably a similar approach with the
Quantafoil grids.  It is just a matter of quality control and timing.  If
it is a problem I would contact the vendor directly and ask for a
replacement batch of grids.  Good luck
         Bob