[3DEM] Why FEG?

Henning Stahlberg HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Apr 26 10:37:40 PDT 2004

Hello,

The CTFEXPLORER defines the effective convergence angle from the
magnification. The lower the magnification the lower becomes the
effective convergence angle. At a magnification of 12k the effective
convergence angle almost vanishes in the CTFEXPLORER, so that virtually
any resolution becomes possible at high defocus and with any microscope
settings.

As Dieter Typke once mentioned, the effective convergence angle on a
TEM also depends indirectly upon the exposure time: If the illumination
system is set so that only low light arrives onto the specimen (long
exposure time), then the "magnification" between electron source and
sample is high, which reduces the effective convergence angle.  Using
this, with a non-FEG instrument you can indeed record high-resolution
data at high defocus and normal magnification (50kx), if you set the
illumination so that your exposure time becomes 1 minute or so. This,
however, then becomes a challenge for cryo sample holders.

In my EXCEL sheet, the user defines the effective convergence angle
manually. I used 0.7 mrad for a thermal source, and 0.1 mrad for a FEG,
independently of the magnification. I estimated these values for
illumination settings for an exposure time of 0.5 seconds.
Another difference between my EXCEL version and the CTFEXPLORER might
be that I include an adjustable amplitude contrast portion (sample
dependent, e.g. 7%), and the scattering profile for carbon, which
contributes an additional envelope function.

Henning.

Henning Stahlberg, Ph.D.,
Molecular & Cellular Biology, Briggs Hall 115B,
UC-Davis, 1 Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616, USA
Tel: +1 (530) 752 82 82      Fax: +1 (530) 752 30 85
mailto:HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu
http://www.amp.ucdavis.edu