[3DEM] Why FEG?

Henning Stahlberg HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 23 09:59:48 PDT 2004

Hi,

The biggest difference between a FEG and an LaB6 performance seems to
me to arise from the effective electron source opening angle, when
short cryoEM exposure times are considered. I used 0.1 mrad for a FEG
and 0.7 mrad for a thermal electron source, see also Jong & van Dyck,
Ultramicroscopy 49, 66-80 (1993).
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-3991(93)90213-H

Even when only interested in 0.5 nm resolution, the difference is
significant, see
http://www.amp.ucdavis.edu/index.php?p=download

Those are CTF simulations made with a simple MS-Excel sheet, which is
also on that server.

Henning.

Henning Stahlberg, Ph.D.,
Molecular & Cellular Biology, Briggs Hall 115B,
UC-Davis, 1 Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616, USA
Tel: +1 (530) 752 82 82      Fax: +1 (530) 752 30 85
mailto:HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu
http://www.amp.ucdavis.edu