Postdoctoral Position

Philip Baldwin Philip.Baldwin at uth.tmc.edu
Thu Oct 9 14:34:42 PDT 2003

Job Announcement
Postdoctoral Position in Computational Structural Biology
Department of Biochemistry
UT – Houston Medical School

        We seek to fill a position in the development of computational
methods for the emerging field of high-resolution cryo-electron
microscopy.  Our group maintains a leading position in single particle
analysis methods and has developed a number of computational methods
widely used in the field.  We are equipped with a 300 kV helium-cooled
cryo-electron microscope, shared-memory SGI system and a distributed
memory PC cluster.

The successful candidate should hold a PhD in physics, electrical
engineering, computer science, or related field and should have working
knowledge of digital signal processing and image processing methods.
Good communication skills, strong programming background, and motivation
to work with biological systems are prerequisite.  Moreover, experience
in one of the following fields will be considered a plus:
-	non-linear optimization methods; global optimization methods
-	3-D tomographic reconstruction techniques
-	2-D and 3-D alignment methods

Applications including CV, statement of interest, and names and e-mail
addresses of two references should be sent to:
Professor Philip Baldwin
Philip.Baldwin at uth.tmc.edu
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Texas -
Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin, MSB 6.202, Houston, TX 77030.