Job Posting

Cindi Schwartz Cindi.Schwartz at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 9 10:12:41 PDT 2003

The Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology in The
University of Colorado at Boulder, CO seeks two Professional Research
Assistants to work under the supervision of highly experienced electron
microscopists. One employee will work directly for the Boulder
Laboratory for Three-Dimensional Electron Microscopy of Cells (BL3DEMC),
while the other will work for a faculty member of the Department. In
both cases, the employees will be trained in methods for rapid freezing
of cells, freeze substitution fixation, thin and thick sectioning of
samples, and imaging in the microscope. Projects may also require EM
immunolocalization, serial thin-section reconstructions, electron
tomography of thick sections, and the interpretation of data. The
BL3DEMC employee will apply these methods to samples from collaborations
and service work with investigators from within our department as well
as across the globe. The other employee will pursue the specific
research aims of the faculty member for whom they work, studying mainly
membrane traffic in yeast cells.

The BL3DEMC (http://bio3d.colorado.edu) is a National Research Resource
equipped with conventional transmission EMs, two new intermediate
voltage TEMs, and a vintage high voltage TEM. We interact with many
other laboratories that send samples of their biological material to be
prepared for EM, imaged, and analyzed. Our goal is to provide the
scientific community with a steady stream of high quality images to
support exciting research endeavors.

Qualified candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelors degree from an
accredited university. Experience with biological electron microscopy is
preferred. Salary will depend on experience ($30  35,000/year). Please
send CV and three references to Ms Linda Batlin, Dept. of M.C.D.Biology,
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0347 (fax 303-492-7744) or by
email to linda.batlin at colorado.edu. Application deadline is November 15,
2003. The University of Colorado at Boulder is committed to diversity
and equality in education and employment.