3DEM and ototlith images

msmale at bayworld.co.za msmale at bayworld.co.za
Wed Nov 26 04:10:25 PST 2003

Dear Colleagues,
I am interested in the possibilities of using 3DEM for capturing,
visualizing and comparing the morphology of fish otoliths (earstones).
Some time ago we used 2D images to illustrate otolith morphology for
both prey identification and the potential for use in systematic studies.
3D EM's are, as far as I have been able to find out to date, unavailable
in South Africa.

I would be most grateful for any references or comments from your
group on your ideas on these possibilities - indeed, if they have been
used by other workers.

I have tried to use 3D studio on a scanned 2D image and it left a lot to
be desired, partly because the 3D information is assumed from shades
of grey that occur on the scanned image. This has obvious drawbacks.

If anyone is aware of a facility that I could try, I would be very grateful.

Thank you and best wishes,

Malcolm Smale
M.J. Smale (PhD)
Port Elizabeth Museum, P.O. Box 13147, Humewood, 6013, South
Africa
Beach Road, Humewood, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
NEW TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER
Tel. (Int. -27-41) (SA 041) - 584 0650, Fax. (Int/SA) -  584 0661
email: msmale at bayworld.co.za