Compustage problem can be caused by loose locater pin

Bob Grassucci bobg at wadsworth.org
Wed May 21 08:48:23 PDT 2003

Hi Everyone,
	I wanted to warn everyone of a problem we had with of our Gatan UK CT3500
cryo transfer stage.  During the removal of the holder from our Tecnai F20
the locater pin which engages the airlock mechanism to open and close the
airlock was sheared or fell off the holder.  This resulted in the airlock
remaining partially open resulting in a vacuum leak.  To make matters worse
our compustage was destroyed and now must be replaced.  This repair is NOT
covered under our service contract.  When we contacted Gatan, their
response was that while they have never heard of this happening it is a
potential problem since the pins for those holders are pressed onto the
shaft and then silver soldered.  They told us that they now machine the pin
out of the same block that makes up the shaft of the holder but I am sure
that there are a great number of CT3500 holders in the field with this
potential problem.  Please be aware of this potential problem and be very
watchful of the tightness and straightness of this pin.  Do not let this
happen to you!
	Bob Grassucci

Robert Grassucci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute at The Wadsworth Center
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509
Phone: (518)474-5821
Fax: (518)486-2191
E-Mail: bobg at wadsworth.org
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list