Optical Diffractometer Available

Holmes, Jon jon.holmes at siraeo.co.uk
Thu May 8 01:26:29 PDT 2003

Brandeis University have completed their assessment of the Sira optical
diffractometer, and I understand that they have placed an equipment request
with their head office for one.

Niko Grigorieff has provided the following notes from the trial [our

"Here are some comments about your new optical diffractometer:

- Everybody agreed that the simultaneous display of real and
reciprocal space images makes this instrument stand out against any
other of its kind.

- Also popular was the ability to grab a frame and save or print it
for documentation purposes.

- Overall, the design was perceived as very robust, solid and compact.

- One point of critique was the way the film plates have to be
inserted into the laser beam. People felt that the gap was a bit too
narrow. To avoid scratches on the plates, one had to use the metal
frame which made the screening of a large number of plates a bit
cumbersome.

[Sira: Niko is referring to the gap between the 'shading tube' and the
rotating stage, where the film is inserted. We have made a number of design
changes to this area for production units. These include covering the stage
with a soft cover to prevent scratches, and adding a thumb-operated
quick-release catch to allow the shading tube to be slid out of the way.
This should enable film to be quickly exchanged]

- Changing of the lens positions appeared a bit rough. People were
afraid to break something.

[Sira: The system uses a commercial optical bench from Edmund Scientific. It
is very robust and the ones at MRC have been in use for a long time without
problems.]

- Opening and closing of the side panels required some strength. You
mentioned that this has already been taken care of in a newer version
of the instrument.

[Sira: Yes, we have replaced the mechanical catches with magnetic ones so
that the covers close easily.]

- I personally found that a timer on the laser could prolong the
lifetime of the same. If my request to HHMI is approved, I hope you
will be able to fit our instrument with a timer.

[Sira: The laser diode should last for at least one year of continuous
operation. If it is turned off after use (using the switch on the front
panel), then it could last for 5 or more years, depending on how much the
instrument is used. Niko has asked for a timer which switches off the laser
after 30 minutes automatically, and we will supply this on the Brandeis
instrument, but we are not sure everyone will want this. It could get
annoying!]

- A possible feature that may also be popular would be a software
component that can determine the microscope defocus settings from the
diffractogram. We had briefly talked about this when you were here."

[Sira: Brandeis have software that can calculate microscope defocus
parameters from diffractometer images of Thon rings. It would be relatively
straightforward to build in the image capture facility from the
diffractometer and provide an automatic, live, display of the parameters as
the film samples are inserted into the diffractometer. They may write this
code and make it available to other Sira diffractometer users - we would
support this idea]

Many thanks to Brandeis for their views.

Any further enquiries, please contact:

Jon Holmes
Industrial Business Manager
Sira Electro-Optics Ltd
South Hill
Chislehurst
Kent
BR7 5EH

Tel. 	+44 (0) 20 8468 1770
Fax.	+44 (0) 20 8468 1771
E-mail: Jon.Holmes at siraeo.co.uk
http://www.siraeo.co.uk/
This message and any attachments is for the intended addressee only.
Please contact us immediately if you have received this transmission in
error.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should note that any
use, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information is strictly
prohibited. The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the
views of Sira Electro-Optics Ltd.  Nothing in this email shall bind Sira
Electro-Optics Ltd in any contract or obligation.