Contaminants at the bottom of Ethane tanks

Bob Grassucci bobg at wadsworth.org
Thu Jun 12 08:32:23 PDT 2003

Hi All,
	We have run into a problem with contaminants on our frozen hydrated grids
which we believe come from residue that is stirred up in the ethane tank
when it is close to empty.  Does anyone have experience as to what the
minimum pressure of the tank before one stops using it?  We are using Grade
5.0 ethane and the small bench top bottles (2.0 lbs?) .  They generally
start out at 650 PSI when they are full.  Is there a rule of thumb that
people are using?  The contaminant's appearance is very high contrast
usually round spots which most people I have spoken with attribute it to
ethane but if it were ethane it should evaporate in the column but it does
not.  Thanks for your advice.
	Regards,
	Bob

Robert Grassucci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute at The Wadsworth Center
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509
Phone: (518)474-5821
Fax: (518)486-2191
E-Mail: bobg at wadsworth.org
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list