TEM: carbon coated grids

Ken Goldie goldie at embl-heidelberg.de
Wed Jan 29 03:07:25 PST 2003

At 10:53 AM 1/29/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a cheap, fast and reliable supplier (for Europe) of
>good holey carbon coated grids for Cryo-TEM.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks everybody,
>
>Philip
>
>Philip Koeck
>Södertörns Högskola and
>Karolinska Institutet
>Dept. of Bioscience at Novum
>S-14157 Huddinge
>Sweden
>phone: +46-8-6089186
>fax: +46-8-6089290
><http://www.biosci.ki.se/em>http://www.biosci.ki<http://www.biosci.ki.se/em>.se/em

We now routinely use Quantifoil grids for our cryo-EM applications.

Other than for special situations do we still produce our own holey or lacy
films due to the convenience of these ready made films. Although not
particularly cheap they are comparable to other suppliers and you save on
the time and effort required if you produce your own.

We find the  Quantifoil films are generally produced reliably and
reproducibly (there has been a vast improvement on the early grids) and the
beauty of them is the defined geometry of the holes which can be customized
to your needs. This can also save you time on the microscope as searching
the grid becomes easier and quicker due to the regular pattern of the holes.

  Even though our lab is situated in Germany it can take from 2 weeks to a
month for delivery of new batches of grids so you have to make sure you
order them ahead of time.

regards

Ken

Ken Goldie
European Molecular Biology Laboratories
Meyerhofstrasse 1
69117 Heidelberg
GERMANY

Tel:  0049 6221 387 362 (Office),   Fax 0049 6221 387 306