Postdoctoral position available

Jenny Hinshaw jennyh at helix.nih.gov
Fri Feb 14 09:58:00 PST 2003

Postdoctoral Position Available
Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
National Institute of Health, USA

The focus of the laboratory is to determine if a common mechanism of
action exists for the diverse dynamin family of proteins.  Dynamin
family members are large GTPases involved in numerous membrane
remodeling events in the cell.  Dynamin is crucial for endocytosis,
synaptic membrane recycling, membrane trafficking within the cell and
more recently has been associated with filamentous actin.  Other
dynamin family members are involved in mitochondria division and
morphology (Drp1, Mgm1), anti-viral activity (Mx, hGBP1), and
localized to plant cell wall formation and thylakoid membrane
organization (Phragmoplastin, ADLs). To determine if a common
mechanism exists among this unique set of proteins, we plan to
calculate and compare the 3D structure of dynamin family members
using cryo-electron microscopy and helical reconstruction methods.
This work will entail purifying and characterizing the dynamin family
of proteins by combining biochemistry, molecular biology, fluorescent
and cryo-electron microscopy.

With its diverse laboratories and expertise available on campus, and
excellent seminars, NIH provides a superb and stimulating scientific
environment that greatly enhances the postdoctoral training
experience.  Within our laboratory we have a Philips CM120 electron
microscope with a cold-stage, as well as all the necessary
biochemical and molecular biology equipment.  On our floor we have
direct access to a Zeiss LSM 410 confocal microscope and a CARV
fluorescent microscope.  We also have access to a state-of-the art
FEI/Philips CM30 Helium-cooled electron microscope.  In addition, we
share expertise and scientific discussions daily with several
established cell biology laboratories working on protein and lipid
trafficking into the cell and between the cytoplasm and nucleus.

Contact:  Jenny E. Hinshaw

Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
NIDDK, NIH
Building 8, Room 419					phone: +1 301 594 0842
8 Center Dr MSC 0851					fax: +1 301 496 9431
Bethesda, MD 20892, USA				e-mail: jennyh at helix.nih.gov

Jenny E. Hinshaw				phone:	(301) 594-0842
Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology	fax: 	(301) 496-9431
Building 8, Room 419, MSC 0851		email: 	jennyh at helix.nih.gov
8 Center Dr.
NIDDK, NIH
Bethesda, MD 20892