Negative stain

Philip Koeck Philip.Koeck at biosci.ki.se
Wed Sep 25 02:06:02 PDT 2002

The problem of positive staining is certainly important at higher
resolution but I don't understand the first part of Carmen's message.

In regular cryo a slightly denser specimen is embedded in slightly less
dense
homogenous vitrified water, whereas in cryo negative stain a slightly less
dense specimen is embedded in a denser, (hopefully) equally homogenous
stain solution.
Why should one only see outlines in the second case?
To me it seems that the only thing that has changed is a constant background
value in the images.

Philip