scanners

Hernando Sosa hsosa at aecom.yu.edu
Thu May 30 07:03:43 PDT 2002

  We are here also in the process of getting a scanner. We tested the Imacon
848 by scanning a contact negative of a grid (~90 um spacing square-square)
and calculating its FFT. We found good resolution in one direction as judged
by looking how far the spots went. However in the opposite direction the
spots start to smear out after 1/30um regardless of the chosen nominal
resolution. We will be testing soon a Creo-Scitex scanner. This company have
several models, the high end (eversmart supreme @ ~$42000) claim to have a
maximum optical resolution of 5600 dots/inch (4.4 um/pix) (they also quote a
lot higher interpolated resolution, but who cares about this). At least one
em lab that I know of uses this scanner. This company (Creo) also told me
that they offer a new model for about $20000 that also has an optical
resolution of 5600 dots/inch. It wasn't clear to me, by taking to the
representative, if there was a trade off in the less expensive unit that
would affect our application. We will also test this unit.

Please let me know if you have a different experience in your tests or if
you come across another scanner. So far it seems  very hard to find a
suitable scanner for em  applications at a reasonable cost.

Regards

Hernando

PS.  I would like to propose that whenever possible  these technical
discussions been e-mailed to the em list, instead of keeping them private
after the first email. I think this will increase the value of the
discussion, as it is likely that  somebody not involved in the private
discussion may have some useful opinion  to give or listen to.

Alasdair McDowall wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
>   I would like to buy the most suitable scanner for around US$20- 25,000
> for high resolution em negatives.  I am considering favourably the
> Imacon  848.  Does the 3DEM group have a better choice in this price
> range or comments on the suitability of the Imacon product for this
> purpose.
>
> yours
>
> Alasdair McDowall

> A/Prof. Alasdair W. McDowall
> Deputy Director: Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis
> Assoc: Institute for Molecular Bioscience and
> Dept. Anatomical Sciences.
> Phone:  (07) 3365-1791  International:   +61 (7)
> Facsimile: (07) 3365-2199
> email: a.mcdowall at mailbox.uq.edu.au
> http://www.imb.uq.edu.au/
> http://www.uq.edu.au/nanoworld/nanohome.html
> Senior Administrative Assistant:  Jill Lumsdale, Tel: (07) 3365 4206
> University of Queensland,
> Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
> St Lucia
> Brisbane. QLD 4072
> AUSTRALIA

Hernando Sosa
Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Av.
Bronx NY 10461
Office: 718-430-3456
Lab: 718-430-3451
FAX: 718-430-8819
Email: hsosa at aecom.yu.edu
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list