Nikon coolscan 8000

Masahide Kikkawa Masahide.Kikkawa at UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Dec 4 15:03:20 PST 2001

Hi. I had question from Dr. David M. Belnap.

Following is the question and the answer..

>We have not tried the Nikon scanner, but are interested in doing so.  I
>was impressed that compared to the Z/I (Zeiss) SCAI scanner we now use,
>it was advertised to give slightly better resolution (Z/I 7
>microns/pixel, Nikon 4000 dpi = 6.35 microns/pixel).  When you said "not
>so good resolution as high-end scanners", do you mean scanners that will
>scan at resolutions better than 6.35 microns or are you saying that the
>Nikon doesn't scan as well as advertised?  Would you also clarify what
>you mean in your first "bad point" about the holder being too small so
>the film can't be rotated.  Do you mean the whole negative cannot be scanned?

  As for the "resolution", it really scans upt o 6.35 microns/pixel, and the
optical system has higher potential. The bad point is the MTF function. At
higher resolution, the amplitude become smaller like the Leafscan. Good
point is that the S/N ratio stays constant.

   I did not have chance to use Zeiss scanner, so I can not compare the MTF...

About the scanning area:

   The scanner has a 10,000-pixel linear CCD. This means the width of the
film is limited to 63.5mm. And the Y direction is limited to 120mm because
the stepping motor has limted range of movement.

   Actually my primary research is filamentous material, so it is critical
to rotate films so that the filament is parallel to the scanning axis. If I
am doing 2D crystal or single particle, I think the scanner is great.

Masahide Kikkawa, M.D., Ph. D.
Masahide.Kikkawa at UTsouthwestern.edu
Assistant Professor, Department of Cell Biology
University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, Texas, 75390-9039
tel	214-648-6333
fax	214-648-8694
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list