Nikon coolscan 8000

Masahide Kikkawa Masahide.Kikkawa at UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Dec 4 05:06:01 PST 2001

Hi,

>I am seeking information about the suitability of the Nikon coolscan 8000
>and the Umax powerlook 3000 for scanning EM plate negatives for image
>analysis purposes. Has anyone done any rigorous testing of these machines
>for these purposes? If so I would really appreciate some tips..... Thanks,

   At the last Gordon conference, I talked about first impression of the
Nikon coolscan 8000.

There are good points and bad points.

Good points:
	1. price
	2. modest resolution. comparable to Leafscan 45.

Bad points:
	1. The holder comes with the scanner is too small.
	   Therefore, the film can not be rotated.

	2. Not so good resolution as highend scanners.

As for the holder, I have been asking to modify a holder to Nikon
Engineering factory ( Japanese name is Nikon-Gijutsu-Kohbo ).

The person, I am contacting is Okada.Masashi at nikonoa.net . The holder is
still prototype, but sending e-mail to him will push the development.

Best regards.
Masahide Kikkawa, M.D., Ph. D.
Masahide.Kikkawa at UTsouthwestern.edu
Assistant Professor, Department of Cell Biology
University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, Texas, 75390-9039
tel	214-648-6333
fax	214-648-8694
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list