No subject

David DeRosier derosier at brandeis.edu
Wed Aug 29 13:28:30 PDT 2001

The Biophysical Discussions

Frontiers in Structural Cell Biology:

How can we determine the structures of large subcellular machines at atomic resolution?

                                     Wine and Cheese Reception: Friday 8:00 pm, April 19, 2001
                                     Sessions Begin: Saturday 9:00 am, April 20, 2001
Sessions End: Monday 12:00 noon, April 22, 2001

Meeting site: Asilomar, California

Organizing committee: Axel Brunger (Stanford University), David DeRosier (Brandeis University), Steve Harrison (Harvard University), and Eva Nogales (University of California at Berkeley).

The Biophysical Discussions will bring together a wide-ranging group of scientists interested in extending and inventing methods for determining, refining and verifying the atomic structures of cellular machinery.  The emphasis of the meeting is on discussion not formal presentations.  The goal is to generate and explore new ideas, to generate interest in pursuing them, and to forge new alliances to bring these ideas to fruition.  The emphasis will be on electron cryo-microscopy and x-ray crystallography.  The space at the meeting is limited.   The topics include: the current state of affairs for studying big structures, prospects for ever larger structures by x-ray crystallography, prospects for larger structures and higher resolution by electron cryomicroscopy, new ways for producing specimens of larger structures, and hybrid methods to achieve atomic resolution.

The presenters and discussion chairs include: Richard Henderson (MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology), Jamie Cate (Whitehead Institute-MIT), Ed Egelman (University of Virginia), Joachim Frank (SUNY-Albany), Helen Saibil (Birkbeck College), Keith Hodgson (Stanford University), Andy Thompson (EMBL-Grenoble), Janos Hajdu (Uppsala University), Randy Read (University of Cambridge), Axel Brunger (Stanford University), Don Wiley (Harvard University), Bob Glaeser (University of California at Berkeley), Niko Grigorieff (Brandeis University), Ken Downing (Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Wolfgang Baumeister (Max-Planck Institute-Martinsried), Eva Nogales (University of California at Berkeley), Niels Volkmann (Burnham Institute), and Willy Wriggers (Scripps Research Institute).

Presenters at the meeting are preparing papers.  These will be distributed to participants for study so that presentation time is reduced (to 5-10 min) and discussion is increased.  The entire meeting will be taped and made available on the web.

We ask that those interested in attending this meeting apply.  As we may well have more applications than there are spaces, we may need to restrict our acceptances.  Applications can be sent by email to derosier at biophysics.org. Please include Name, Address, Affiliation, Title, and area of research interest.  Posters are encouraged.  If you wish to include a poster, please send an abstract including title, authors, affiliations, and summary. (Abstracts have a limit of 1420 characters in all - no figures, graphs etc. are allowed.)   Deadline: November 15, 2001.  Registration fees and room and board will be required from successful applicants.  The registration fee for the meeting will be $275.  Successful applicants will be notified by December 15.

At the meeting, some of the posters may be selected for short oral presentations as happens for example at the CryoEM Gordon Conf.