postdoctoral research position

Michael Koonce koonce at wadsworth.org
Tue Aug 14 12:31:41 PDT 2001

Dear Colleagues
    I am seeking to hire a postdoctoral-level scientist to examine the 3D
structure of dynein, a microtubule-based motor protein. Our approaches
involve both cryo-EM and x-ray crystallography of the motor domain and its
subfragments. We are able to produce large amounts of uniform, functional
motor (0.5 gram and more) in a system that readily permits useful
modifications (site-directed mutations, placement of affinity and epitope
tags, etc. see Koonce & Tikhonenko, Mol. Biol. Cell. 11:523-529, 2000). We
have produced the first substructural glimpses into the dynein motor (Samso
et al, J. Mol. Biol. 276:927-937, 1998), demonstrating that
negatively-stained dynein monomers are suitable objects for single particle
image analysis. More recent unpublished work indicates that dynein structure
is a tractable problem using cryo EM methods. We have also imaged several
Fab-tagged constructs, showing clear Fab decoration at specific sites on the
motor.
    I am looking for one individual with a strong interest in structural
biology, computer-based image analysis, and/or electron microscopy. The
Wadsworth Center is a fully equipped, state of the art research facility
located in scenic upstate New York (www.wadsworth.org). In addition to its
strong tradition in electron microscopy, there are approximately 50 basic
science laboratories that investigate a wide range of topics (cell and
structural biology, genetic disorders, infectious and environmental
diseases), along with graduate programs in biomedical and environmental
sciences.

    I would greatly appreciate it if you could circulate this letter among
your students or postdocs who may be considering tackling a challenging but
very rewarding structural biology project. Please do not hesitate to contact
me at the numbers listed below for any information related to our work.
Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael Koonce Ph.D.
Laboratory of Cell Regulation
Wadsworth Center
Empire State Plaza P.O. Box 509
Albany NY 12201-0509

phone     518-486-1490
FAX     518-474-7992
e-mail: koonce at wadsworth.org
web: http://www.wadsworth.org

with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list