[3dem] Inconsistent Blotting with GP2

Sylvain Trepout sylvain.trepout at monash.edu
Thu Aug 8 16:47:08 PDT 2024

Hi there GP2-enthusiasts,

In our GP2 we use the classic Ted Pella blotting paper (prod. number
47000-200), and it is quite thin, much thinner than what we use in our
Vitrobots for instance, and much thinner than what we used back in the days
when we were all doing manual plunge freezing. I am not sure the reason why
the GP2 blotting paper is so thin now...

Using two blotting papers on top of each other might do the trick, but I
have never tried that.
What we installed on our GP2 is some kind of plastic washer (it is
transparent and flexible and we manually cut it to the dimensions of the
blotting paper) that we put at the back of the blotting paper, and it helps
prevent the filter paper from getting all wavy when the humidity in the
chamber is high.
However, when the filter paper stays inside the humid chamber for a fair
amount of time, the wavyness cannot be avoided, so we simply change it for
a new one, even if we did not use it 10 times.

Hope this helps,
Best,
Sylvain

PhD