[3dem] determine spherically averaged radial density

Tom Calcraft tom.calcraft at crick.ac.uk
Wed Apr 10 00:39:53 PDT 2024

That depends on what you are using the curve for. Filtering or downsampling (of either the map itself or the rotational average) are both good ways to tidy up the curve. Regarding the "final diameter”, it is up to your judgement where to draw the line - there may be non-zero background density on the inside/outside of your spherical virus even after rotational averaging. It is probably best to check your diameter value(s) against the high-resolution map without rotational averaging, or against an atomic model if you have one available.

Best,
Tom