[3dem] MRI close to EM?

benoit.zuber at unibe.ch benoit.zuber at unibe.ch
Mon Jul 4 05:41:31 PDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

We are planing a new research building in which our EMs (Krios, Aquilos, etc) will be located. An MRI for small animals should be installed in the same building. This machine has not been acquired yet, and the move will likely happen in 7 years.

In the old days, it was clearly not possible to have an MRI near an EM. Yet, it seems that modern MRI come with active field canceling systems so that the electromagnetic field emitted outside the machine is very low and would not be affect the function of an EM nearby.

I heard from one facility with a Glacios located close to an NMR. The head of the facility told me that they have noticed no issue with it. They routinely obtain high-resolution structures with the microscope.

I would be pleased to gather more experiences.

  *   Have you got an MRI/NMR located close to your EM?
  *   Have you noticed interferences?

Many thanks in advance
Kind regards
Benoit