[3dem] Fwd: cryo-EM data processing in the cloud/AWS

Laura ldelcano at cnb.csic.es
Wed Aug 31 08:26:20 PDT 2022

Hi Chip,

my name is Laura and I work in the Centro Nacional de Biotecnología in
Madrid, where we develop the software Scipion.

We have explored and use cryo-EM processing in the cloud for many years
already, we have some info here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://scipion-em.github.io/docs/release-3.0.0/docs/developer/scipion-on-the-cloud.html__;!!Mih3wA!ARQ_pdLIz3yHTBfQnqy6MQVRQehsrMsaQFt_7kF24VFusw0xNfbVYLgNiKMNolDIhCD39fEtAt1qiGArgIJOgrM$  >
but I can tell you also what we have been doing.

We have some AMIs with our software in AWS but we mainly use it for
training cause it is really expensive to launch powerful hardware types
to process cryo-EM and we only do it if we dont have our own resources.

What we sometimes use to process real data is the European Open Science
Cloud (EOSC) resources cause we have some agreements with (OpenStack)
sites in EU. We launch those virtual servers or clusters using the
Infrastructure Manager <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.grycap.upv.es/im/index.php__;!!Mih3wA!ARQ_pdLIz3yHTBfQnqy6MQVRQehsrMsaQFt_7kF24VFusw0xNfbVYLgNiKMNolDIhCD39fEtAt1qiGArB4r-v5M$  > that
uses ansible/docker recipes/images to set them up.

If you are interested we can discuss it or I can try to answer more
specific questions related to instances, transfers and so on.

best regards

Laura