[3dem] Facility Manager/Director position at SBP

Jianhua Zhao jzhao at sbpdiscovery.org
Fri Sep 17 11:42:48 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

We have an open position for a cryo-EM facility manager/director position at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute in La Jolla, San Diego area. More information can be found below.

Job ad:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sbpdiscovery.hrmdirect.com_employment_job-2Dopening.php-3Freq-3D1755088-26-26-26nohd-23job&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=fpsgkuQeCjBgSDgodQx8-JHJTvpn62y0Jrum7b_PpL0&s=_E1EZGzeGwJiGpIh75wdN77Bk_hFfgQDuqQ8QcdmtPA&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.sbpdiscovery.org_about_careers&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=fpsgkuQeCjBgSDgodQx8-JHJTvpn62y0Jrum7b_PpL0&s=FZFet405EiHHOawKltnHLKMl9A6UPfrxnaCGXbDJqMo&e=

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me regarding any questions you may have.

Best regards,
Jianhua
Jianhua Zhao, Ph.D., Assistant Professor (he/him/his)
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
10901 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Rm 5238 (office), Rm 5242 (lab), +1-858-795-5027
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jzhaolab.com&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=fpsgkuQeCjBgSDgodQx8-JHJTvpn62y0Jrum7b_PpL0&s=42xYyiOLtLISGFHSrJZM6tGgl9rflH0NWd1ZPxC3bW0&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jzhaolab.com&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=fpsgkuQeCjBgSDgodQx8-JHJTvpn62y0Jrum7b_PpL0&s=42xYyiOLtLISGFHSrJZM6tGgl9rflH0NWd1ZPxC3bW0&e= > | jzhao at sbpdiscovery.org<mailto:jzhao at sbpdiscovery.org>

SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.

Our research programs group scientists working in key areas of biology to foster collaborations that will pave the way to improving human health.

We are currently seeking a facility manager position in the Cryo-EM facility.

This position will play a key role in managing the operation of a Titan Krios microscope with a Gatan K3 camera, a Tecnai T12, and other related equipment.

The Facility Manager will contribute intellectually and scientifically to the direction of the facility and research projects, as well as lead efforts in developing technical capabilities that will enable structural biology research at the institute.

The position will interface with collaborators, external users, and industry partners and will play an integral role in structure-based drug discovery efforts in collaboration with the Prebys Center at the institute.

Any questions should be addressed to Jianhua Zhao (jzhao at sbpdiscovery.org<mailto:jzhao at sbpdiscovery.org>).

Primary Responsibilities

  *   Manage the daily operation of the Cryo-EM facility and oversee future expansion
  *   Establish workflows and training protocols for an efficient Cryo-EM core
  *   Develop image collection strategies that maximize data quality and throughout
  *   Interface with service engineers and facility personnel to maintain high-functioning instruments
  *   Collaborate with researchers on Cryo-EM projects
  *   Train users and maintain equipment

Required Experience

  *   Candidates should have an advanced degree in Science
  *   2+ years of experience in Cryo-EM

Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities

  *   Expertise in single particle Cryo-EM
  *   Expertise in sample preparation, data collection, and image processing
  *   Experience working in linux
  *   Work independently as well as in a team environment
  *   Be responsible, organized, and possess strong attention to detail
  *   Possess strong time management and organizational skills
  *   Strong communication and interpersonal skills
  *   Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office
  *   Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion

The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.

Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability - committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.eeoc.gov_sites_default_files_migrated-5Ffiles_employers_eeoc-5Fself-5Fprint-5Fposter.pdf&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=fpsgkuQeCjBgSDgodQx8-JHJTvpn62y0Jrum7b_PpL0&s=rUC7PXHpWvmr98i_WuElqD5KCYC_SSVWzoIfjlf9Jzw&e= >.

If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email accommodations at sbpdiscovery.org<mailto:accommodations at sbpdiscovery.org>. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.