[3dem] Chemical fixation before plunge freezing or HPF

Paul Verkade P.Verkade at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jan 18 03:37:28 PST 2021

Hi Linda,

Indeed 4% PFA should work but we have also used  mixtures of 2%PFA with up to 0.5%GA. When working with pathogenic material we have chosen 2%GA to make sure.
GA should in general preserve ultrastructure better but for cryo-CLEM has a lot of autofluorescence.

The buffer and not leaving it in the fixative too long (i.e. freeze soon after fixation) are may be even more critical.

Best,
Paul

PS Hope Hugh is doing well
__________________________________
Paul Verkade PhD FRMS
Professor of Bioimaging
School of Biochemistry
Biomedical Sciences Building
University of Bristol
University Walk
BS8 1TD Bristol
United Kingdom

tel.+44-117-3312179
Fax. +44-117-3312168
mail: p.verkade at bristol.ac.uk<mailto:p.verkade at bristol.ac.uk>
websites:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biochemistry/research/pv.html__;!!Mih3wA!QcvpNSzr-s44uHUK_5DdT9C-R-GmWsVGO0dY10_jlcXbCEPJgZSwk8WeT6N4YfWYJQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://bristol.ac.uk/wolfson-bioimaging/equipment/clem/__;!!Mih3wA!QcvpNSzr-s44uHUK_5DdT9C-R-GmWsVGO0dY10_jlcXbCEPJgZSwk8WeT6N_NFR4_A$

A top 10 UK university and 58th in the world (QS Rankings 2021)
Fourth most targeted UK university by top employers (High Fliers 2020)
A top 5 UK university for research (THE analysis of REF 2014)
Ninth best European university for teaching (THE2019)