[3dem] Data storage system

Lu Gan lu at anaphase.org
Fri Apr 2 19:52:03 PDT 2021

Make sure you get a server that has tool-free HDD / SSD caddies. The older
servers use caddies that require 4 screws to secure each HDD. Why is this
relevant? The HDDs you buy today will not have enough capacity in 3 - 4
years. At that time, you'll need to upgrade tens of HDDs, which is a breeze
if the caddies are tool free, but a huge time sink if they're not. The
Supermicro servers that Matthias and Craig mentioned should have tool free
caddies. If you order a different model, double check because some of the
older style servers are still being sold. In addition to Supermicro, you
check this website, which has good reviews of modern servers that point out
important features like the caddies:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.servethehome.com/category/storage/__;!!Mih3wA!XrhN182RbdR5C-yMny1ZshMkzyzigNP9QlO3eQsDtd_Mzbb6gpRnGONjFJGv42S7-A$

Regarding backups, a slower but cheaper alternative is to use
Dropbox's advanced business plan. It's < USD 1K per year for "as much as
you need" storage. The downside is that transfer to/from is slow. In
Singapore, we get 20 - 40 MB/sec. To put this number range in perspective,
we just had to restore all our backed up data (35 TB) to our local server
and it took 2 weeks.

Cheers.
Lu

--