[3dem] Which resolution?

Alexis Rohou a.rohou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 08:34:45 PST 2020

Hi all,

For those bewildered by Marin's insistence that everyone's been messing up
their stats since the bronze age, I'd like to offer what my understanding
of the situation. More details in this thread from a few years ago on the
exact same topic:
https://mail.ncmir.ucsd.edu/pipermail/3dem/2015-August/003939.html
https://mail.ncmir.ucsd.edu/pipermail/3dem/2015-August/003944.html

Notwithstanding notational problems (e.g. strict equations as opposed to
approximation symbols, or omission of symbols to denote estimation), I
believe Frank & Al-Ali and "descendent" papers (e.g. appendix of Rosenthal
& Henderson 2003) are fine. The cross terms that Marin is agitated about
indeed do in fact have an expectation value of 0.0 (in the ensemble; if the
experiment were performed an infinite number of times with different
realizations of noise). I don't believe Pawel or Jose Maria or any of the
other authors really believe that the cross-terms are orthogonal.

When N (the number of independent Fouier voxels in a shell) is large
enough, mean(Signal x Noise) ~ 0.0 is only an approximation, but a pretty
good one, even for a single FSC experiment. This is why, in my book,
derivations that depend on Frank & Al-Ali are OK, under the strict
assumption that N is large. Numerically, this becomes apparent when Marin's
half-bit criterion is plotted - asymptotically it has the same behavior as
a constant threshold.

So, is Marin wrong to worry about this? No, I don't think so. There are
indeed cases where the assumption of large N is broken. And under those
circumstances, any fixed threshold (0.143, 0.5, whatever) is dangerous.
This is illustrated in figures of van Heel & Schatz (2005). Small boxes,
high-symmetry, small objects in large boxes, and a number of other
conditions can make fixed thresholds dangerous.

It would indeed be better to use a non-fixed threshold. So why am I not
using the 1/2-bit criterion in my own work? While numerically it behaves
well at most resolution ranges, I was not convinced by Marin's derivation
in 2005. Philosophically though, I think he's right - we should aim for FSC
thresholds that are more robust to the kinds of edge cases mentioned above.
It would be the right thing to do.

Hope this helps,
Alexis